Thursday, December 02, 2010

Radical Surrender: Letters to Seminarians by Father Michael Najim


If you are a seminarian from Providence, RI, apparently, you get letters from your vocation director. These letters could easily pass as Rector's Conferences. The Institute for Priestly Formation collected these letters and put them into a book. When I was at the last National Conference for Diocesan Vocation Directors in Milwaukee earlier this year, I saw the book and purchased it. I must confess, I am not going to start writing letters to our seminarians for the Diocese of Jefferson City. But, I will recommend this book to them, to others who are discerning, and to those who want to learn more about how to promote priesthood. What I liked about this book is that it is very personalized. Yes, we should have conferences and lectures on celibacy, obedience, praying with Liturgy of the Hours and the importance of Mary in our lives, but here is a priest saying "here is how I developed these important issues in my life... and I would like to pass these experiences on to you." Humorous, real, and solid. I think anyone who reads this will gain insight and be inspired. Topics I did not already mention that he covers include: The Place of Encounter, Trust, Surrender, Honesty within spiritual direction, The Father's love, The cross, spiritual warfare, and being a spiritual father. Check it out; its a great read! But, it is not supposed to be read cover to cover; read one letter at a time and spend time praying over and answering the questions at the end of each letter.