Sunday, November 18, 2007

Seminarian Visits October 5-9 -- Who are our seminarians?

We have a seminarian, Nick Reid who is at Catholic Theology School in Washington DC. I visited him while in Baltimore at the Vocation Director Convention. Now it was time to see our other 17 seminarians. It was going to be a whirl-wind tour.

Friday after Institute, off to Kenrick-Glennon to see Dylan and Fran. I concelebrated mass, went to a wonderful Mexican dinner and visited with them for quite a while. We also set up camera for a video-shoot of what it is like to be a seminarian in today's world. The guys at Kenrick are doing great.

Off to Saint Lawrence High School in Wisconsin. I arrived on Saturday evening in a nearby town and decided to treat myself to a nice dinner and movie before heading to the hotel for the evening. Sunday, went to mass and learned we had one, not two seminarians at the school. Christopher Fechtel, our senior is still there and plans on graduating there in May! Go Christopher! So, like old times sake, I told Christopher if he planned on leaving campus with me for lunch, he needed to find a friend to join us. That's VIRTUS. So, we had a nice lunch after mass and then I visited with Christopher for a while -- in a public area. I took a few photos for our story of what it is like to be a high school seminarian in today's world.

I was on to Sacred Heart School of theology to visit Matthew Flatley, Tony Rinaldo, Tony Viviano and Lewis Nelen, our four second career guys. We had a wonderful dinner (do you notice there is a lot of eating as vocation director -- read the Gospels, Jesus liked to eat too!) Then, individual visits, visits with the seminary board, and finally a few video shoots of the guys explaining what it is like to be a second career seminarian in today's world. I had mass with the community and then it was time for a long ride. Hales Corners to Conception Seminary College.

Sunday evening, late, I arrived at Conception to visit with Corey Lyon, Jason Doke, Colin Franklin, Matthew Reinkemeyer, Chris Aubuchon, Alan Brown, James Galbraith, Anton Bauer and David Bauer. This was during their day of recollection, so I was good to not do anything extra with them. Just visited with them -- which were good conversations. Then, on Tuesday afternoon, headed back to Jefferson City for a meeting I thought I had at 7PM just to find out it was the next Tuesday.